Johnny Depp trial – live: Actor grilled by Amber Heard lawyers over text messages and drug and alcohol use

Watch live as Johnny Depp testimony continues in defamation case against Heard

Lawyers representing Amber Heard are cross-examining Johnny Depp following his two days of testimony in the $50m (£38.2m) defamation lawsuit he brought against his ex-wife. The trial is in its second week at the Fairfax County Courthouse in Virginia.

Heard is being sued by Depp for implying he abused her in a 2018 op-ed she wrote. Although she did not name him, his lawyers de ella claim her allegations de ella have made it difficult for the actor to land movie roles, turning him from “Cinderella to Quasimodo” in Hollywood, as the Pirates of the Caribbean actor describes it.

The actor recalled a traumatic childhood with an abusive mother and said his relationship with Heard mirrored that, accusing her of “bullying” him in his testimony, as well as recalling a thick finger wound and human faeces being found on his bed.

Audio played to the court revealed an argument between the couple in which Heard told Depp “you didn’t get punched” and that “I was hitting you”, in a dispute about a violent episode.

On Thursday morning, Heard’s lawyers challenged the actor over vulgar text messages sent by him, his drug use and drinking, and the length of his sobriety.

1650562212

Want to start your day with all the latest US news?

Keep up-to-date with the latest news with our US morning headlines email sent at 7am ET every weekday.

For our full range of newsletters, including US evening headlines, sign up via our newsletter page.

Oliver O’Connell21 April 2022 18:30

1650560650

Rottenborn points out a discrepancy regarding Depp’s testimony about the length of his sobriety from alcohol.

Depp testified he had been free from alcohol for 18 months when he went to Australia in 2015.

Heard’s lawyer states that the flight from Boston to LA was less than a year before the actor flew to Australia to film Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

Depp disputes this, maintaining that he only had a glass of champagne and a double dose of his opiod medication on the flight, despite what was said in the text to Bettany.

Rottenborn claims that Depp also lied on his insurance forms for the movie, showing evidence that the actor ticked the “No” box for the question asking if he had used illegal substances whether prescribed by a physician or not.

Judge Penney Azcarate calls for a lunch break.

Court will resume at 2.10pm ET.

Oliver O’Connell21 April 2022 18:04

1650559889

In a series of questions about his time detoxing and Heard’s role, Depp emailed her mother saying: “I couldn’t have made it without her.”

Oliver O’Connell21 April 2022 17:51

1650559320

Rottenborn and Depp disagree on whether the actor was very drunk on the flight or if it was his opioids.

Says Depp: “I would not agree that I was very drunk on that flight… I had taken a double dose on that Roxicodone, which is different than a blackout.”

The court is then played audio of Depp moaning like an animal after the flight and a voice, believed to be Mr Judge, saying that he would stay with “this f***ing idiot” in case he gets sick.

Oliver O’Connell21 April 2022 17:42

1650558694

Rottenborn then refers back to an earlier text shown to the jury that he sent to Paul Bettany in which he listed what he had consumed on the plane and the reaction from Heard.

Oliver O’Connell21 April 2022 17:31

1650558575

Texts sent from Depp to Heard the day after the flight are shown to the court:

Once again, I find myself in a place of shame and regret. Of course, I am sorry. I really don’t know why, or what happened. But I will never do it again. I want to get better for you. And for me. I must. My illness somehow crept up and grabbed me. I can’t do it again. I can’t live like that again. And I know you can’t either. I must get better. And I will. For us both. Starting today. I love you. Again, I am so sorry. So sorry.. I love you and feel so bad for letting you down..

When no reply came I texted:

I see that understanding and forgiveness ain’t on the menu… I’m disappointed to see that, but, not too surprised, I suppose…

Oliver O’Connell21 April 2022 17:29

1650558298

We are now hearing again about the flight between Boston and LA in 2014.

The previous night Depp and Heard had a heated argument about scenes she was shooting with James Franco. Depp confirms he thought she was having an affair with Franco.

Depp is asked if Heard was being judgmental towards him because she felt he was inebriated with drink and drugs. He replies that she was a constant.

There is a back and forth between Depp and Rottenborn over whether he was very ill when the plane landed after sleeping on the bathroom floor.

Oliver O’Connell21 April 2022 17:24

1650557673

Questioning turns to a trip to the Hicksville Trailer Palace near Joshua Tree, California, during which Depp claims he was protecting Heard from a woman called Kelly Sue who had taken drugs and had placed her hand on Heard.

Depp says he was “protecting Ms Heard’s honor… from someone who was clearly unable to deal with the substance that she had taken”.

In a subsequent argument back at their trailer, Depp admits he punched a bathroom sconce.

Oliver O’Connell21 April 2022 17:14

1650556736

Rottenborn asks if Depp is aware of the lengths Heard went to help him when he was impaired by drugs and alcohol.

Depp says he would have to be more specific.

An audio recording is played in which a conversation can be heard between Depp and Heard in which she says she does not want him to choke on his vomit when asleep.

A photo showing Depp either asleep or unconscious with a bowl of ice cream in his lap is shown.

Depp says he fell asleep after a 17-hour day and was on opioids at the time. He says Heard gave him the ice cream and took the picture because she knew he would fall asleep.

“That was a wonderful picture for her to take,” says Depp.

Rottenborn asks if it was Heard’s fault that the picture was taken, to which Depp replies: “Well, she snapped it.”

Oliver O’Connell21 April 2022 16:58

1650556256

Depp is being asked about the end of his relationship with Vanessa Paradis in which he told the UK trial he was abusing alcohol at that time, though said differently today.

Jurors are then shown an email Depp sent to Elton John in which he refers to Paradis as the “French extortionist” and says his kids have fallen in love with Heard, but he thinks their mother will turn them against her — other more graphic language is used.

Oliver O’Connell21 April 2022 16:50